Thursday, September 20, 2007

On the Road

Buying a car wasn’t nearly as intimidating as trying to drive it in a city of over five million people who don’t seem to obey normal traffic rules. The first day a single American guy volunteered to ride with me since I had gone with him when he was learning. In order to be culturally appropriate, I was clothed in the local dress, and he road in the backseat. This alone was enough to get lots of stares.

We had only been driving about five minutes when I heard this horrific thud on the passenger side. My cohort exclaimed, “Way to go, you just hit your first pedestrian!” I was appalled and almost came to a screeching halt. He further explained that actually a woman on the side of the road swung her arm into the car and no one seemed to be the least bit concerned. Fortunately in many congested areas we travel at a very slow speed so I am sure that helps with any little bumps. That was enough to put me on my guard though. Sheesh!

My next lesson involved “speed hills.” All over the city they have strategically placed speed bumps to help control traffic, but these are nothing like American speed bumps. My car rides pretty low to the ground. I think it was about the second one we drove over that I scraped so hard I thought part of the bottom of the car was going to be left behind. Now I try to slow down and hit them at an angle. Getting into my steep driveway without scraping is a skill I still have not mastered.

The second day I went out during rush hour (about 1pm) to have my license tags attached to the car. If you want an exercise in faith building, try maneuvering through cars, buses, bikes, motorcycles and mule carts spread four lanes across on a two lane road with pedestrians and parked vehicles lining the sides.

Because we drive on the opposite side of the road here, I have to keep telling myself, “stay left” as I go. Occasionally I will be driving on a larger four lane divided highway and have cars coming at me. It always takes me a few minutes to evaluate who is actually going the wrong direction.

Another interesting thing about the traffic is the honking. I am used to people honking if I am going too slowly or doing something wrong. Here they honk just to let you know they are beside you or passing you. It’s quite helpful once you realize no one is angry with you. Unfortunately it is a trait I am already beginning to adopt!

No comments: