Saturday, September 8, 2007

Goodbye, public transport . . . Hello, new set of wheels!

After managing to survive for over six months in a male dominated society by walking and using public transportation, in August, I decided it was time to look into getting a car. Several things triggered this decision: 1. I found out I will have three female students coming the first part of next year 2. I feel like I have sufficiently learned how to use public transportation as a single woman and can teach others 3. They sell cars with automatic transmissions here (I never did figure out how to shift gears properly even in the US) 4. A car will allow me more freedom at night and in the summer (walking is difficult since it must be done in daylight and extreme heat)

It usually takes at least six months to get approval and funding for a car. I hoped if I asked now, I might be able to get one by the early part of next year. The day I asked about getting a car, I was told that someone else had requested funding for a car this year and would be unable to use it. After a week of car shopping, I was able to park the little silver used Toyota in my garage.

Isn’t it amazing how Father provides for our needs even before we know we have them? Thanks to all of you who make it possible for me to have the first car I’ve ever owned overseas – it’s a tremendous blessing!

No comments: